This is one of my favorite Puerto Rican traditional recipes; you can literally throw anything into an empanada and freeze it for a rainy day.
Here’s what you’ll need:
A pack of discs, (goya 10-pack is my go-to)
Trader Joe’s beef-less ground beef
1/2 tbsp Adobo
1 tsp of Sazon
1/2 tbsp Oregano
1/2 tbsp Parsley
1/4 cup of Tomato Sauce
1 - 2 cloves of Garlic
2 tbsp of Sofrito
1. Place a saucepan on medium heat, coat the pan with a teaspoon of oil.
2. Throw all the ingredients in the pan and simmer on medium for 3-5 minutes.
3. Crumble the beef-less ground beef in the pan, mixing all the ingredients.
4. Cook till tender, usually 10-15 minutes on medium-low heat.
Preparing the empanadas:
After preparing your filling of choice, it’s time to prepare the empanada!
1. Place about a spoon and half of the fill-in in the middle of the disc.
2. Gently brush the edges of the disc with water to help seal the empanada.
3. Fold the disc, press the edges together with a fork.
4. Flip and press the edges again, on the other side.
Cooking the empanadas:
I have an air fryer obsessed with, but please feel free to bake them in the oven or fry them up.
If you are using an air fryer, 350 degrees, seven minutes on each side will make them nice and crispy. Poke a small hole on the side to prevent them from bubbling up.
In an oven, preheat the oven to 350 before you start putting the empanadas together—Cook for 7-10 minutes on each side, or until light brown.
Serve & enjoy ✨