Are there any requirements to become a Pen Pal?
- You do not require any particular experience or skill to become a Pen Pal. The main criteria for using our service is that you are over 16*, identify in some way as LGBTQ+ and that you can make a commitment to write regularly (at least once per month).
*We may consider slightly younger teens, however we will need to gather parental consent before you can participate.
Can I have more than one Pen Pal?
- For now, we would like to focus on allocating people to just one Pen Pal each. This helps to ensure that there are enough matches available for everyone and everybody has an equal chance at finding a match.
However, if you feel that you do not connect well with your Pen Pal or your Pen Pal suddenly stops writing to you, we can assign you to a new one. This will be free of charge.
I made a mistake on my registration form, what do I do?
- No problem! Please send us a direct message or email stating your name and details of the information you’d like to correct.
Likewise, if you change your mind about something (e.g., you selected domestic Pen Pals only but have changed your mind and are open to international), you can send us a direct message or email with your name and details of the information you’d like to update.
What happens after I register for a Pen Pal?
- Once you apply for a Pen Pal, we will look through our applications and pair you up with a suitable match as soon as one is available to allocate to you. This could take anywhere between a day to several weeks.
Applications will be checked daily.
You will then receive an email from us to notify you that a match has been found, along with your invoice and an agreement form.
Upon receiving your payment and signed agreement form, you will then be given the details of your Pen Pal and are ready to start writing to them directly.
Once a Pen Pal match is made, what information does my Pen Pal receive about me?
- The only information we disclose to your Pen Pal is your first name (we will not share full names), your provided mailing address, languages spoken and if you selected no to the question on our registration form regarding if you openly identify as LGBTQ+.
We will not share any further information with them as we don’t want to ruin the surprise factor by giving too much away - allowing Pen Pals to introduce themselves!
In the circumstance that your Pen Pal would like to request further information about you before writing to you, we will only disclose this information to them with your permission.
I wrote my Pen Pal a first letter but haven’t heard back. What should I do?
- We recommend that you let us know and we will reach out to your Pen Pal for you to find out whether they wrote back. Unfortunately, sometimes mail can be delayed or even go missing - we will be able to get some answers after we have communicated with your Pen Pal.
If we don’t receive any response from your Pen Pal, we'll match you up with a new one.
I sent my payment and signed agreement form X amount of days ago but haven’t heard from you, did my payment go through?
- The delay between making your payment and receiving your Pen Pal Pack + Pen Pal’s details is due to us still waiting on your Pen Pal to make their payment and/or send their signed form.
Everyone is entitled to take up to 10 days to make their payment and email their form back to us. After 10 days, if we have not received their payment and form, and have not been able to contact them, their invoice will be cancelled and you will be informed of the situation.
You will then be rematched if another suitable match is available to allocate to you, otherwise you will be refunded if a match does not become available for you within 7 days (and start the waiting process over again).